Friday, September 4, 2015

Update from Me

Hello Wonderful Readers,
I may not have achieved my two-week blog goal, but I'm not giving up, and I have every intention of keeping this blog going.

People have asked how I am doing.
I survived a week of teacher workshops and am now cramming to finish setting up my classroom and plan the first week's lessons and activities. I don't know too many teachers who feel fully ready for the first day when it arrives, but it all manages to work out.

I've been a bit tired, but livable tired. The pain from the surgery no longer requires pain meds. I get a little hoarse after extended speaking (which should make things interesting next week when I have students), but otherwise I feel all right or "okayish." I plan to take things one day at a time, as best I can as I prepare for the next major step in treatment--the radioactive iodine (it won't really make me glow or give me the ability to cook food--I inquired.)

I am appreciative of all the people in my life who have shared their experiences with me regarding their own thyroid issues. There are so many of us, fortunately and unfortunately.

I feel restless when I'm not writing, and the feedback from my posts keeps me inspired. I do have several blog posts in the works on topics including foundation shakers (diverse picture books and challenges), graphic novels, novels in verse, nonfiction picture books, and "what's the deal with adults intervening" in picture books. Yes, I tend to have a lot about picture books. I can't help it. They are amazing sources of stories. Plus, there is no excuse of a lack of time to read as long as picture books exist.

Please feel free to post comments on past and present posts. I love feedback and reading different perspectives. As a teacher, I want to "hear" (in this case, read) your thoughts.

Here's to reading lots of books in the meantime.

I'll be back soon!

Have a  great Labor Day weekend!

~Tamara Riva


No comments:

Post a Comment