Thursday, August 20, 2015

It's All About Perspective

Before I had my daughter, I honestly cannot remember what made me laugh. Some of her insights observations, and random connections elicit giggles from me--many of which I have to try and hide. Not always easy.

When I read books that make my daughter giggle, the sound always blankets me with momentary peace. If I can laugh with her, it's even more joyful, and definitely therapeutic after a challenging day.

A recent find for us is the book:
You Are (Not) Small by Anna King and Illustrated by Christopher Weyan
In this large picture book, bear-like creatures compare themselves to each other by size and eventually argue about who is big and who is small. When new characters literally drop in, the two main characters realize that they are both big and small. Once that is settled, it's time to head out together to eat. The book concludes with the potential for a new debate between two of the drop-in visitors.

Featuring bold, yet spare illustrations, the more my daughter and I read this book, the more we laugh. The story presents much potential for discussions about perspective, and debates about size. My three and 11/12ths year old can be quite specific. (Yes, we get precise with her age. It was three and three quarters until a few days ago. It also means we won't be trying to fake her age to get a lower price. Today at a movie when I was asked if she was under three years, I said she is three. My daughter adamantly said, "I am not three. I am three and 11/12ths. She picks up things related to her age quick!)
"I'm not a kid. I'm a child!" Or "I'm not little. I'm big." Yes, she is big to the ants she stomps on outside.
She is little next to me.
It's all about perspective.
And giggles.

On a side note, Kang and Weyan are working on a sequel. I'm looking forward to it.

~Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment